Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Culinary Crusades.... The doughnut / donut

And after a long time of relative inactivity, I once again headed to the Kitchen to learn something new. For a very long time, I had been curious about this doughnut that I tasted some time back. I asked around and no one could give me a recipe that I was even remotely interested in trying. But low and behold, I purposed to find one by browsing the internet, and I found this one. I think I'm in love!

This is it. They're called Cake Doughnuts. Shared the same recipe with some friends and they all loved it. Even my boss tried it the very next day. This one is a keeper!


INGREDIENTS

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 dash ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
1 quart oil for frying



DIRECTIONS

1. Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Or medium low heat on a stove top.

2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix in butter until crumbly. Stir in milk and egg until smooth. Knead lightly, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll or pat to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with a doughnut cutter.

3. Carefully drop doughnuts into hot oil, a few at a time. Do not overcrowd pan or oil may overflow. Fry, turning once, for 3 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towels.


Although the dough tends to be a bit sticky, and may require a bit more flour than the recipe calls for, this one is immaculate!

What always gets me about my culinary adventures. I'm usually all psyched about trying the new recipe. I do, but then I can't eat much of it. I had two doughnuts this time- while my neighbours, family and co workers consumed all the rest!! I'm not sure what happens in the mind of someone when they're cooking, but for me, it seems like I lose my appetite. It also doesn't help that I'm not really into sweet things. My friend usually says thats cause I'm sweet enough. I just blush! :)

Next on the agenda though: How do I make this recipe mine? I'm thinking nuts! Hmmmm....

5 comments:

Maureen said...

I love doughnuts.

I must say they look rather delicious. Not bad for a first attempt.

Anonymous said...

These sound so good. All I need is some baking powder . Not much of a baker but I'll give it a try.
Thanks for the recipe

DelroyNesta said...

why is it that i never get invited to taste anything that you cook, i am not that far, we on the same island eh

Jae said...

Mau, Nesta, Mystery guy/gal... LOL.. you people made my day!

Mau... I usually get lucky on the first attempt. It's when i mess around with the recipe exciting things like fires and eruptions happen!

Nesta... I will haveto hook you up the next time you're around. Of if ever I know that we'll be in the same place! Tryin to make it to the lip sync, but i aint got a ride back home.

Anon... Trust me, it's as easy as it sounds! If i can do it.. ANY BODY can! I'm no genious! :) If you're in Dominica, you should know- Theres a shortage of eggs. Maybe Nesta can tell us why!

living the good life said...

yeah.. I was wondering why the shortage of eggs! There's chickens all over the place.