Monday, November 24, 2008

Venus vs Vector


There is no better lullaby than the sound of a thousand buzzing mosquitoes. Last week, I was lucky enough to be blessed with my very own creature choir, complete with an accompanying dancing troop. Why the dancers you ask?... What else could they be called if they keep bouncing into your face half the night?

I've tried Bop/ Baygon. They work well on the night that they are used, but I hate the residual odour that always lingers even after you air out the room.


Then there were the vape-mats and the noxious coils. Both are too strong for my nostrils and leave me feeling very nauseous.

Frustrated, my next clever idea was to wear one of dads old long sleeves shirts. Great!... And just when I felt like breaking into M.C Hammer's classic... "ta na na na, na na, na na.. CAN'T TOUCH DIS!!".. I woke up the next morning with bumps all over MY FACE!! MY FACE!! Those darn creatures had launched a full fledged mutiny. I guess they figured.. we'll just take what we can get. It was the only body part uncovered. (How else is a sister supposed to breathe!)
I knew I couldn't copy my mum and just sleep completely covered by sheets from head to toe. I couldn't do it, not even if I tried. So that would have been a pointless effort.

What to do?


Ah Ha!! A FAN!!... No fumes. No work. Plus, I can keep cool. Well, yeah. It did work. It worked so well, that the next morning, I woke up with a stuffing nose. Arrgggggg!!!!!!! Not worth it!


And then there was...The Zapper!! The ultimate mosquito killing machine. These things annihilate those buggers in a flash. Literally! Ofcourse, for all it's wonders, just how do you electrocute mosquites if you'd actually prefer sleeping, as opposed to staying up keeping a vector vigil? Alas... my zapper had fallen short.


But, on Saturday, upon coming home from a wedding... this is the sight that greeted me... Well, something like it any how.


Andddd, last night.... as I laid myself down to sleep......zzzzzz... zzzzz... BUZZZZZZZZZ........

3 comments:

DelroyNesta said...

i was gonna recommend that you rub some citronelle oil on your skin before going to sleep but if you managed to get a net then that's all good too, i prefer the natural means that the sprays

Jae said...

I was actually looking at the citronelle last week. Also read somewhere that vanilla can work too.. But that one mystifies me. Where can i get the oil? Till then... the struggle continues

Maureen said...

Jae...Excellent blog post...Girl you are so funny...you just crack me up...