Thursday, November 13, 2008

Kitchen wars...

So the carpenters have finally finished our kitchen cupboards and renovations to the ceiling. It's been two months mind you. In the interim, we had to move the stove downstairs, while the refrigerator, microwave and dishes remained upstairs. Imagine having to make four trips up and down stairs just to start cooking a meal. Well, that has been my life for the past two months.

Needless to say, I have lost a few pounds in the process. One, because I have avoided cooking and eating altogether, and second, when I do decide to make the effort, I have to work 3 times as hard. I'm not so sure whether the weight loss is a good thing as these days i get the occasional:

"Girrrrl!!! You dat der nah?"

I smile.... "Yup, it's me."

"I doh even notice is you dat der nuh! You get meg eh i find?"

I smile... again. Except, this time, no words.

I guess I know that people mean no harm during these exchanges, but, it does somehow manage to get on my nerves after a while. Sometimes I respond with the always reassuring, " Doh worry, I won't lose more weight man." To which is the expected retort," You had better not!"

Hmmm.. Dominica. It still takes a community to raise a child. I'm hoping that all the questioning is because they are all so concerned. As opposed to just being nosey.

Anyway, the stove is back up in the kitchen, where it's supposed to be. To celebrate, I baked a cake last night. There is no way I would even have considered the feat had the stove and oven remained downstairs. So... needless to say, I'm ecstatic. There's still a lot of cleaning up left to do. All our pots, pans, dishes ect still have to be found and packed into their respective cupboards, but we're well on our way.

Today, after coming home and taking a shower while a house lizard stared the entire time, I had to decide upon which of the dreaded tasks I would tackle first: typing up a storm of sponsorship letters, or..... the dishes in the kitchen.

I decided to write a blog post instead. I think I'll have a piece of cake right after this. After all, ones priorities should always be well considered, right?

4 comments:

DelroyNesta said...

can i have a piece of cake too, chocolate?

Jae said...

Most definitely chocolate! The guys in my house have almost devoured the entire thing. But i'm going to email you a piece. Hope it gets there.

Maureen said...

Don't forget to save a little piece for me too. If only you knew how much I love cake...

Jae said...

Maureen!! Well i'm sure you can afford to completely immerse yourrself in the all consuming pleasures of the chocolate cake... hmmmm... the velvet smooth richness of fluffy moist chocolate cake... hmmmm :) Having an orgasm yet??.. LOL. Off to the gym you go!