Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Poetic Me...

I was in a history class when this piece sort of just flowed from the tips of my pen. The words kept coming faster than I could write them. But somehow I managed to get these ones down.



Past These Silvery Shores

Before these chains and stalls
When I roamed the trails and canvassed the hills
The fowls and beasts were my reward
I knew that I was blessed

My woman- bosom gently curved, skin- ebony velvet
She oils her temple with sesame and hair with castor
And her treasure is mine, all mines
Can you not see that I am blessed?

My children- my prize, my pleasure, my pain
Oh that they would grow, with this knowledge
My toil all worth it
To know that they are blessed

My back- bent, bruised and burnt
Muscles torn and hurt, heart even more so
As I ache for my posterity
That they would know that we are blessed

What would they know of this?
Will they see beyond the stripes and wounds?
To nights of rhythmic bongo beats
And know that they are blessed

What will they hear of this?
Of lashes, sweat and tears
Or, of freedom and silky ruby sunsets
And know that they are blessed

What will they learn of this?
That ivory coloured men took their friends
Or, though hardly gentle, another opportunity to prove
And know that they are blessed

But hush....

Rest well my child, be wise
All things no doubt do shape
us all from the very same lump of clay
To know that we are blessed

Look far past these silvery shores
To a home that only the core of you has sensed
A place of warmth, of labour and love
And know, my seed, that you are blessed

6 comments:

DelroyNesta said...

love it, i wonder if you know of the poetry show tonight at sea world in citronier, just found out about it but i wont be able to attend though. keep it up

Jae said...

Hey, Thanks for the review. I hadn't heard about the poetry show. Who's organising it? I was wondering whether there was a body for D/can poets around.

B.T.W... i tried emailing you. Did you get it?

DelroyNesta said...

yes, there's the dominica's writers guild but im trying to put something together with young up and coming poets, maybe u would be interested, hoping to call a meeting sometime soon.

Jae said...

Oh that would be so cool. I think for the most part, the younger people may avoid the writers guild, as like me they might nt see themselves to be of a particular calibre. But if it's youts just like us.. it should work. When it's on, you just holla! I'll be there.

Maureen said...

An excellent lovely poem...

Jae said...

Thanks Maureen!! :) Look forward to an update on your blog...