Monday, July 14, 2008

Angel's Response to "The I's have it"

Monday!!! If we say TGIF when Friday comes around.. what do you say when you wake up to greet the sun on a Monday morning?? Got loads to say.. The week end was GREAT!!! More on the later in the week most likely.

I checked my messages and one very intelligent friend of mine wrote me this response to the post "The I's Have it" posted on the 12th of July. Hopefully she doesn't sue me for posting it on here.. LOL.


" I like your article on "The I's Have It", you are right, i find it interesting. However, the constant use of the pronoun I, may not be a reflection of how self- absorbed we are, but something less harsh. Generally people revert to what they know best i.e themselves. Thus, most people only choose to talk about themselves because that's all they know. I guess only a stalker would be able to talk about someone else as enthusiastically as they would themselves lol. Also, there are a limited amount of words available in the English language to allow one to address themselves, only stuck with the main four. hmmmm lemme think, I or Me, Mine or My.... slim pickings.

These words are typically used when getting to know a new person, or when conversing with someone you know. It's a necessity when talking and more often that not- in my opinion- engaging for both parties. I like to talk with others, and for them to talk about themselves. Otherwise the conversation would be rooted on a bunch of "you"s being thrown around, (easily leading to compliments) resulting in not attaining any real depth or understanding of who the person is in front of you.

Listening is great, but is it really self absorbed to say I regularly? How can you explain to someone, you've gone through what they're are going through without using I. Or talk about your day without using I, or explain where you're from, explain how to treat an injury from your own past experience, or talk about culture, history, or anything in the world that relates to you in any way, i think the list can go on and on.

That exercise that you encouraged your readers to do, you know don't say I for at least 10 mins. That reminds me of something my Secondary School teacher did. We couldn't use any conjunctions throughout a 5min conversation. Same principal and quite humorous to observe. As you suggested on your blog "..try to use the word I less.." Good suggestion, but don't forget there is always my, mine, and me.. ;)"


This is one example of an excellent response!

1 comment:

david santos said...

Excellent posting and good blog.
Have a nice week.