Friday, July 11, 2008

The I's have it!



Reading through the my posts and the posts of my friends and something caught my attention: the use of the pronoun 'I' is a very prominent feature. Ok.. so one would be tempted to ask, "Errr... and your point is..??" To which my response would be the following:

Always, I've had an overwhelming concern about whether the use of the word 'I' in our daily conversations was a reflection of how self absorbed we were. ! Consequently, one day I decided to check my use of 'I'. The results of my little 'I' project left me somewhat stumped as it was hardly as easy as I first thought it would be. And to think, this fixation with the omnipresent 'I' didn't just start when you hit puberty! There is therefor great temptation to conclude that there is some degree of selfishness related to the excessive use of the word 'I'.

Would it be fair though to make such an assessment? Honestly? Think about it for a little while. That you could, in a 10 minutes of conversation use the word 'I' 20 times? What could it possibly say about ones ability to be considerate about 'others'? The premise here would be that your feelings, wants and opinions need to be given a voice, while those of others need not be heard at that time.

What if we all, for one day, made a greater effort to be more considerate? Maybe try to use the word 'I' less. I guarantee you, having tried, that it sounds far easier than it actually is. The next time you converse with someone, take note of how many times the word 'I' sneaks in.

Online I found this little dialogue between John and his Coach during a basket ball game:

Coach: There is no I in the word TEAM John

John: No Coach, just M and E!

LOL.. good luck. It will be interesting to see how successful you are.

No comments: